Monday, June 11, 2007

Introduction: Goals, Points, and Biases

Welcome to the Fastest Blog On Ice. You may be wondering to yourself, just what kind of blog is this? Well, this entry will give you a short summary of what you can expect here.

Primarily, but not exclusively, this will be a hockey blog. Consequently, the main league covered will be the NHL. There are plenty of hockey blogs out there, and many good ones, so it will obviously be a challenge to find my niche, but it's what I know and love. My favourite NHL team, as you can probably tell, is the Montreal Canadiens. There will most likely be more subject matter related to the Habs than any other NHL franchise, but I hope to cover the league moreso than my favorite team.

I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and was born and raised in various small towns throughout this province. That's relevant because there are other topics I'd like to put on this blog aside from the NHL. The first is the Western Hockey League. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I do go to some games and seeing as more WHL players graduate to the NHL than any other non-NHL affiliated league than I think any insight would be greatly appreciated. I know there are some blogs out there on major junior hockey, but obviously not nearly the number that there are for the NHL. I'll try and do my part to hold up my end of the bargain. Obviously, my hometown bias is towards the Saskatoon Blades.

My Saskatchewan residency makes my second sport, and pro league that I will cover, an obvious choice. I'm a CFL fan, and as game day approaches, and passes, during the summer my focus will be on the Saskatchewan Roughriders. The pain, the agony, the exaggerated highs and devestating lows of being a Rider fan will be on full display here. I apologize in advance.

As far as hockey is concerned, I have a positional bias for goaltenders. You will see me comment on goaltending transactions, scenarios, and issues probably more than the average hockey blog. I played goal as a kid and have ever since paid more attention to the position than the other players on the ice. I also have a preference for players from Saskatchewan, and I'm sure that will be on display a number of times as well.

Undoubtedly, I will touch on other sports. But not enough to realistically expect fans of those sports to drop by. The hockey fan that is also a sports fan in general might appreciate a small break from pucks.

I post frequently on hockey message boards around the world wide web as saskhab, but I am a moderator at the http://offthepost.net web forums. On the front page, there are some articles and I do plan to cross reference to that website when I write something more substantial.

No comments: